As if we didn't already have a vibrant tortilla, we have now added an all natural pink corn tortilla for a limited time. The first time I saw these come out of the machine I knew the colors they could create would be amazing. I immediately went to Pinterest and google to search for a delicious recipe that looked amazing and had a lot of complimentary colors for the tortillas. I found a variety of things that could be combined to make something amazing. One of my favorites is chicken so I started there. I remembered watching Chef Carlos cook a chicken pibil with orange that was to die for, so I started there. Meat...check (sorry vegans). Now for some color. I ended up finding a Citrus salad that really popped, plus adding the orange in chicken was revolutionary last time and i've added a little lime so it should work out in theory. Next was added one of my favorites that i've picked up from Chef Carlos as well. The pickled red onions. After some digging I found out that you can do this with juices...score! The result of these things plus the variety of stone ground tortillas we have made for a colorful explosion visually and flavor wise and was a masterpiece if I do say so myself. Here are the instructions to create your own at home:
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3.5 ounces achiote paste
- 1/2 cup orange juice (~2 oranges)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (~2 limes)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken in the pureed mixture of the achiote paste, orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin, oregano, cinnamon and salt for 3-24 hours.
- Wrap the chicken and marinade in 2-3 layers of aluminum foil, seal, place in a baking pan and bake in a preheated 325F/170C oven until fall apart tender, about 2-3 hours.
- Shred the chicken and mix it back into the marinade and juices, assemble the tacos and enjoy!
- 2 large oranges, supremed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 large grapefruits, supremed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 limes, supremed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- salt to taste
- Mix everything, season with salt to taste and enjoy!
Pickled Red Onion
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sour orange juice or 1 cup orange juice and 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cover the red onion slices in boiling water for 10 seconds and drain.
- Mix the juice, sugar and salt, pour the mixture over the red onions and let sit, covered, for 4 hours.
Build your taco!! Don't forget to heat those Pinole Blue tortillas up on the stove